Sydney Danielle Lough 3/11/07

Sydney Danielle Lough  3/11/07
My Inspiration

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

4 Weeks and Counting

Warning:This post is fairly long, but I don't want to forget any of it!
It is hard to believe that it has been four weeks since Austin was born! I figured today would be a good time to tell about Austin's birthday.

We woke up early Tuesday morning, January 13th. I had been up numerous times the night before going to the bathroom since they had started my IV the night before. Andrew took my one last token belly picture (I had gained 8 inches around my belly) and I got ready for my c-section. (Note: they still had the monitors on me, thus the hard angles in the picture.) Both sets of grandparents came by to visit before I went in.

Around 7:25, after the anesthesiologist came in and Dr. Jones checked on me, my nurse walked me down to the OR. Dr. Jones had told us that we were free to take as many pictures as we wanted during the surgery. I was all for it, but the thought turned Andrew a new shade of green! :) He said he would sacrifice for me and hold the camera over the curtain and randomly snap shots as they told him to. Somehow, that did not seem to match what I had envisioned. I mean, if given the option, I think I would go it without the curtain and have a mirror over my belly so I could watch the entire thing. (Well, I ended up appreciating the curtain being there...I will let you figure out why for yourself...but I would have liked the mirror.) Luckily, there was a nursing student (also named Tiffany) in the room observing the c-section. I gave her my camera and asked her to take pictures for me. If you care to see them, email me or comment. I figured it would not be nice to post them online in case someone has a weak stomach. Besides, that would guarantee that Andrew never reads my blog again!

As they were working on getting Austin out, I heard Dr. Jones say, "I am really glad we are here." That kind of worried me a bit. Then he asked how I was doing and assured me that Austin was doing fine and that they were close to having him out. When they finally got him out, he let out a piercing squeal that was the sweetest sound I have ever heard! I never got to hear Sydney cry, so hearing Austin was a moment I had waited for and looked forward to for a very long time.

We found out while I was in recovery that Austin's umbilical cord had been wrapped around his neck four times, accounting for the slight drop in heart rate I had mentioned earlier. While it was not causing him any trouble at the time, it could have over the next week and a half before his scheduled c-section date.

Anyway, as they took him over to the table to work on him, Andrew went over to watch (covering his eyes as he walked past me). I could hear him talking to Austin, commiserating with him about how much hard work it was to be born via c-section. Assuring him he understood and that he would make it through it.

Then, they brought him to me so I could see him before they took him to the nursery. He was the most beautiful baby I could imagine! He had such a full head of dark, curly hair and he had such perfect skin! Best of all, he was healthy! I was so happy!

Andrew was able to push him to the nursery...past both sets of grandparents (who had been allowed to stay in the labor and delivery room instead of in the waiting room). Andrew got to stay with him in the nursery while they did his testing. He was having a little bit of difficulty breathing, but did not need the ventilator. They actually just kept doing things to make him fuss and cry to keep him working his lungs. Andrew got to change his first diaper and Dr. Beal came in to check him out for the first time.

Andrew finally brought him to me in recovery and it was absolutely wonderful! Seeing his daddy hold him and getting to finally touch him was more than I had imagined. We only had a little bit of time in recovery before they moved us into post-partem where I was able to feed him for the first time.

We had several special visitors that day including family and close friends. While we were very tired, it was by far among the best days of my life!

More pictures from Austin's birthday have been added to our Shutterfly website today.

Related Posts by Categories

Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book


Heather @ Not a DIY Life said...

The first time I heard Ladybug cry brought the same feeling for me. Such a beautiful sound! We were allowed to have the camera in the OR, but Hubby had to stay seated in a wheel chair, just in case he fainted. But a nurse snapped a few pics for us. One of my faves is a shot of just her head sticking out of my belly with the surgical light illuminating her face - LOVE IT!

I'm so glad that Austin's birth went well. I hope you are recovering well from the c-section too. I hope you'll share lots of pics of him as he grows!

Shyla said...

What a great story. I'm glad everyone is healthy and happy. Can't wait for more pictures.

Mandy said...

What a great story. I am so glad he is here.
I would love to see the pictures of the C-section! Caleb deleted the pictures of Logan's C-section before I ever got to see them.
Keep sharing pics.

Sandi said...

The story was not long at all -- very sweet. I am so thankful everything went well! I so wish I could have met him sooner than I did!!

Revka said...

Oh, Tiffany, I am so happy for you guys! Congratulations! :)