Sydney Danielle Lough 3/11/07

Sydney Danielle Lough  3/11/07
My Inspiration

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Austin's Arrival

So, you may be wondering what happened that Austin came so early. Well, here is the story...

We went in for our doctors' visits on Monday, January 12th. We saw Dr. Jones (our regular OB) first. I did everything but beg him to go ahead and take Austin early. I was so miserable! My back hurt, my hips hurt, my ribs hurt...Austin was moving so much that I could have sworn that I was bruised internally! Plus, I was having a lot more contractions and they were getting stronger...but not with any consistency. However, Dr. Jones stated that he does not like to take them any earlier than he has to because of the possible problems with respiration in babies delivered early by c-section. I understood that and did not want to do anything to jeopardize Austin, but I was definitely ready to meet him! We left the office planning to return the following week and headed three buildings down to Dr. Grant's office.

At Dr. Grant's office, everything started out as normal. I had my ultrasound and Austin was moving as usual. Everything looked good. Then I went in for the non-stress test on the monitor. For the first 10 minutes, or so, Austin really was not very reactive. I figured he had fallen asleep. Marcia, the tech, gave me some water to drink which sometimes gets him moving. Then she put the noisy vibrator thing on my belly to get him going. He started to squirm and become reactive. However, about that time, I started to have a contraction. We noticed that there was a slight drop in Austin's heart rate during the contraction. The next 15-20 minutes was pretty uneventful with Austin reacting exactly as he should. However, that one episode of heart rate dropping gave Dr. Grant some trouble. He called Dr. Jones and suggested that they send me over to labor and delivery to be put on the monitor for a couple of hours to see if the episode was just a fluke or if it happened again. He told me that if they sent me home, to come back on Tuesday to monitor again. He did not want to take any chances.

So, somewhat nervously, somewhat excitedly, we headed over to labor and delivery...calling Nancy to let her know we would not be able to make it to her birthday dinner. We sat in labor and delivery for two hours with only one more slight drop in his heart rate. The doctor on call called Dr. Jones to discuss the monitoring. He decided that since he had an opening in his schedule at 7:30 in the morning, we might as well just go ahead and stay and have Austin the next morning!

We suddenly became very excited! We called our families and let them know the good news. Mom and Dad came up to bring us dinner. Then, Mom stayed with me while Andrew and Dad ran back to the house to get my hospital bag (just packed a few days before) and some things for Andrew.

We went to sleep that night anxiously awaiting Austin's arrival.

Well, Austin just woke up from a nap and is screaming for something to eat, so I will go take care of him and post the rest another time.

Related Posts by Categories

Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book


Heather @ Not a DIY Life said...

Can't wait to hear more of Austin's birth-day!

Hope you're adjusting to life with your little man.