Sydney Danielle Lough 3/11/07

Sydney Danielle Lough  3/11/07
My Inspiration

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Tantrums!

Austin has recently started throwing tantrums. When he does not get his way on something, he balls up his little fists and screams or he does a little Ninja yell thing and slaps at the floor or a toy or even Momma!

I know! He actually hits me!

The same Momma he runs to when he gets hurt!

The same Momma he follows around all day, begging to be picked up!

The same Momma who rocks him to sleep for his naps!

Is this the beginning of our love-hate relationship?

OK, so seriously, I know that this is a normal part of development where he can't control his feelings and does not have any other way to get his feelings out and expressed and so he cries out in the only way he knows how...yada, yada, yada.

I also know that I absolutely, under no condition, should ever laugh when these tantrums erupt! I know that, but I am not so good about always following that rule. Sometimes it is just so cute!

When these melt-downs occur, I typically pick him up, move him away from other things and set him down on the floor telling him he is in time-out until he can get himself under control. At this point, he breaks out into real heart-wrenching sobs. I always stay close by, often sitting down next to him. Then, when he stops crying, I pick him up, hug him, tell him I love him and that I am proud of him for getting himself under control.

This is just another milestone in motherhood, right? I will be glad when it passes.

Any suggestions?

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

1 comments:

Kristi E said...

They can really be cute at first, so you laugh, and then you do damage control for several weeks. But dang it, some of those meltdowns are adorible! They get less cute when the baby learns to verbalize what he's feeling. (We no longer have to pinch ourselves to keep from laughing at baby Peyton.) There is no advice. There is simply waiting it out, or sending the baby to Grandmas.