Sydney Danielle Lough 3/11/07

Sydney Danielle Lough  3/11/07
My Inspiration

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Psalm 119 Devotional Study

I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
Psalm 119:11


This morning, I read the second section of Psalm 119, "Beth." I said in my last post that I was going to try to figure out what the sections and titles in the Psalm are. However, my husband, as intelligent as he is, already knew and posted the answer in the comments on it. For those of you who did not get to read it, each section title is a letter of the Hebrew alphabet. Each section, in Hebrew, is eight lines, each of which starts with that particular letter. It is basically a very large acrostic!
Beth
9 How can a young man keep his way pure?
By living according to your word.

10 I seek you with all my heart;
do not let me stray from your commands.

11 I have hidden your word in my heart
that I might not sin against you.

12 Praise be to you, O LORD;
teach me your decrees.

13 With my lips I recount
all the laws that come from your mouth.

14 I rejoice in following your statutes
as one rejoices in great riches.

15 I meditate on your precepts
and consider your ways.

16 I delight in your decrees;
I will not neglect your word.


Basically, the Psalmist, thought by some to possibly be Ezra, the priest, asks the question, how do I live a pure life? Then, he answers the question, stating you have to "live according to (God's) word." He spends the next 7 line/verses telling how he does that.
  • He seeks God wholly, asking for help not to fail.
  • He memorizes God's word, so that he will not sin.
  • He praises God and asks him to teach him.
  • He recites God's word.
  • He rejoices in God's word as he would riches.
  • He meditates on God's word.
  • He delights in God's laws and vows to not neglect it.
Wow! How many of those things do I do? How about you? While I try to obey, I sometimes think of God's commands and the example Christ gave as a burden or chore. Instead, I should be rejoicing in them! Delighting in them! Do I neglect God's word? I have for a long time. I am striving to change that now. I still slip, but I am doing better. How about you? Are you up to the Psalm 119 Challenge?

This seems like a guide for a study time. Begin by seeking God and asking for his help. Then work on scriptures I am memorizing. Then, praise God and ask him to teach me in my devotional time. Read the word out loud. Rejoice in the treasures that God has showed me in his word. Meditate on what I have learned. Delight in that and vow not to neglect God's word. How powerful would that be? I think I will try that during my next study time.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

0 comments: