Sydney Danielle Lough 3/11/07

Sydney Danielle Lough  3/11/07
My Inspiration

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Daily Devotional: Delighting in the Law

I have been pretty lax in my quiet time, lately. You may have noticed that there have not been any daily devotional posts lately (and then again, maybe you have not noticed). I had temporarily stopped going through Knowing and Loving the Bible because I had started the Beth Moore study on the Psalms of Ascent. However, I just have not been able to get myself into the study. Maybe it was because I had built it up too much in my mind. Maybe it was because the last study I did (Walking by Faith) was so great for me that this one just could not stand up with it. I don't know. I was pretty excited because I had heard so much great stuff about Beth Moore studies. But, this one just was not for me right now. I will probably still try another one again later.

But, this morning, I went back to Knowing and Loving the Bible. The lesson this morning opened with just what I needed. I was instructed to meditate on Psalm 19 and write down what I learned. The verses that stuck out to me were verses 7-11.

7 The law of the LORD is perfect,
reviving the soul.
The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy,
making wise the simple.

8 The precepts of the LORD are right,
giving joy to the heart.
The commands of the LORD are radiant,
giving light to the eyes.

9 The fear of the LORD is pure,
enduring forever.
The ordinances of the LORD are sure
and altogether righteous.

10 They are more precious than gold,
than much pure gold;
they are sweeter than honey,
than honey from the comb.

11 By them is your servant warned;
in keeping them there is great reward.

That is in much contrast to how I think I have looked at the Bible and God's instructions to me. That would go a little more like this:

The law of the Lord is hard, I can not possibly keep it.

The statutes of the Lord are demanding, I don't know how to do them.

The precepts of the Lord are boring, I fall asleep reading them.

The commands of the Lord are tedious, I get tired of trying to keep up with them all.- I mean, I get most of them. It is the little ones that are harder for me to remember and follow through with...

You get the picture. I have thought of God's Word as more of what I do than who I am; what I am passionate about; what I live for. But what Psalm 19 says is that God's law is perfect and it will revive my soul, even if it is hard. His statues are trustworthy, not demanding; they make me wise. The precepts are right and will bring me joy, not fatigue. His commands for me are radiant, not tedious, giving me light to walk by.

God gave me the Bible to be my help and guide. It is my promise of a better future with Him. By keeping these commands, I am not completing my chore list, I am being warned and prepared for a reward!

I want to look at my Christian walk with more joy and less complacency. I want to be excited when I sit down to read the Bible, not just checking something off of my to-do list for the day.

God, help me to be passionate about your Word. Help me to be joyous about my Christian walk. Help me to appreciate this gift you have given me through your Word!

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

1 comments:

Diane Meyer said...

Oh Tiffany, I love your desire to be passionate about the Word and God's truths! I have no doubt that God will bless your desire and obedience with an abundance of joy and fulfillment. You rock!
Diane