Sydney Danielle Lough 3/11/07

Sydney Danielle Lough  3/11/07
My Inspiration

Monday, April 20, 2009

Meeting God as Adonai


As I continued my study of the names of God in God, Pass By Me: Seeing God's Glory through His Names, Titles, and Descriptions, by Casandra Martin, I met God as Adonai. I will recap some of the things I learned about Adonai from my time of study and the thoughts that came out of it.

  • Adonai comes from the root word adon which in Hebrew means lord or master. By adding the suffix -ai, it changes it from the use of earthly kings or masters to uniquely the name of God.
  • Adonai is plural, like Elohim, describing the triune nature of God.
  • Adonai is translated as Lord in English.
  • In the New Testiment, Lord is translated from the Greek word, Kurios, which means basically the same thing as Adonai.
  • God is our Master and we should submit to his will for our lives. This is different from a slave as we know it because we willingly give up our "freedom" to submit to God and in doing so, our life improves greatly. I think that we as Americans don't like to submit our freedom or our control in any way. I struggle with submitting to God's will for this very reason. I like to be in control of my life and the idea of not knowing what is comeing or where I am going is uncomfortable to me. And yet, God has my best interest at heart, even if that is not the way I want my life to go at the moment.
  • When trying to learn how to submit to God, we need only to look at the example Christ lived for us. God showed us what was important to Him by becoming a servant himself. It is not easy, nor is it comfortable, to imitate Christ. Yet, it truly will enhance our lives and it is the only way we will truly be in relationship with God. Not that our actions in themselves establish that relationship, but true faith and submission to God's will prompts such a servant lifestyle.
This week, I am trying to figure out how to listen for God's will in my life. Where is God leading me? What does my Master want me to do? How am I going to carry out His tasks for me even when it takes me out of my comfort zone?

How about you? How do you know what God's will is for your life?

My other posts from this study:
Elohim

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

0 comments: