Sydney Danielle Lough 3/11/07

Sydney Danielle Lough  3/11/07
My Inspiration

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Sleeping Bliss


This is my first time to participate in Tuesday's Tip Jar at BlogMommas.com, but I have read other people's tips for a while, so I thought I would drop a tip in the jar.

As I have discussed previously, we have been having trouble keeping Austin swaddled, especially at night. Friday and Saturday night were terrible! He went around 4 hours between feedings the first time, maybe three the next and then woke up every hour after that. The problem was not that he was hungry...it was that he had wiggled out of his swaddle and would wake up crying. We would go back and re-swaddle and he would sleep another hour before wiggling free again. I felt like a walking zombie by Sunday! We had tried to leave him unswaddled for naps to see how he would do, but he would not sleep more than 20-30 minutes if he was not swaddled.

Saturday, our friends Sarah and Jon came over for lunch with their new daughter, Riley. She was born 10 days before Austin, so we were swapping stories and tips. When I told them how much trouble we were having with sleeping at night, they told us about the SwaddleMe blankets. It has a deep pocket for the legs and velcro straps that keep the arms snuggled. We went to Toys-R-Us on the way home from church on Sunday to pick one up to try. I was pretty excited about the possibilities because Austin has gone up to 7 hours between feedings at night before, so we knew he could go longer than 3-4 hours.

Sunday night, I fed Austin at 8, put him down at 9 and he slept until 3:15 (with the exception of a little bit of fussing around 12:30 that did not require me to get up)! He then slept until 7 the next morning! He took a 2 1/2 hour nap yesterday morning in it, also. Last night, I fed him at 8, put him down at 9. He fussed again around 12:15, so I got up to go check on him. He was still asleep and was just fussing in his sleep. I touched his cheek to see if he seemed hungery, but he did not, so I went back to bed. He fussed off and on for ~5 minutes and then went back to sleep. I did not have to feed him until 4:20! Almost 8 1/2 hours! We actually just got up to check on hime because it had been so long. Andrew got up with me to change his diaper before I fed him. When we went in to check on him, he looked up calmly without crying and smiled. Then he let out a little giggle. He was so content and happy! We changed his diaper, I fed him and he went right back to bed and slept until 7:30.

I can't say enough about how excited we are about this! I know that a big part of the length of sleeping is influenced a lot by the timing and his develpment, but I also know that he would not be doing this if we had not gotten the SwaddleMe blankets to keep him swaddled. I would highly reccomend the SwaddleMe blankets to anyone with a new baby!

Head over to BlogMammas.com for more tips.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

4 comments:

Jeni said...

I'm glad that blanket is working for you! We tried one with Wendy, and since it was a stretchy material, she was able to get out MORE easily. We did figure out how to keep her swaddled with flannel receiving blankets, though, and she slept like that until about 7 months.

Tiffany said...

We had tried another kind of swaddle blanket with velcro, but it did not work like this one. The flannel receiving blankets worked for us at first, but he was outgrowing them and getting too strong for them to keep him in. We are able to get the SwaddleMe blankets tight enough to keep him contained! We plan to swaddle for several months, too.

Rebecca said...

Those blankets are brilliant! This is a fabulous tip (and one I wish I had when mine were babies!)I will definitely keep these in mind for baby showers.

Happy Tuesday!
:)
Becki@BlogMommas

Andrew said...

We have a fleece one and a plain cotton one. The cotton blanket doesn't stretch nearly as much and does better. You might try a different material if you encounter the same problem in the future.