Sydney Danielle Lough 3/11/07

Sydney Danielle Lough  3/11/07
My Inspiration

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Daily Devotional- Yada

I have been struggling with the concept of having a relationship with God instead of just intellectually knowing about Him. I found an interesting quote in Knowing & Loving the Bible today.

What does it mean to know God? The Hebrew word translated know is yada and implies an experience of the reality of His presence. Marvin Wilson, in his book Our Father Abraham: Jewish Roots of the Christian Faith, says, "In Hebrew thought, to 'know' something was to experience it, rather than merely to intellectualize it. To 'know' someone was to share an intimate personal relationship with that one. Thus the Hebrew verb yada, 'to know,' means to encounter, experience, and share in an intimate way."

Wow! That is exactly what I have been chewing on in my brain. How do I find that? The author goes on to say that this yada is found in quite time alone with God and His Word. Yep. That is where I get hung up. I sit down to read or study, but there are always distractions around. In the morning, I have things to get done to get ready for work, the cats are hungry and running around getting on things they should not, etc. In the evening, I have to get dinner, I want to spend time with Andrew catching up on our days, and by bed time, I am tired. I have to pick a time and place that works well for my quite time.

So, help me out. Do you get have a daily quiet time? When do you work it in? Where to you go? I would really like to know. So, either post about it on your blog and leave the link to it in my comments, or just tell me in the comments. In the meantime, I will just keep plugging away at it.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

0 comments: