Sydney Danielle Lough 3/11/07

Sydney Danielle Lough  3/11/07
My Inspiration

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Absolute Insanity!

I am a planner. I love to make elaborate plans for things. I plan for the ideal world. The ideal life. The ideal situation. The ideal amount of time in a day- 100 hours, right?

And then I plan some more.

And then I get discouraged when nothing happens.

I am not an executor. The world is not ideal. There is no perfect situation all of the time. Especially with a toddler in the house, things don't always (and by that I mean rarely) turn out the way I planned.

So, last night, I was very discouraged (and tired and not feeling well and exhausted and...well you get the point). So I decided to talk to Andrew about it. I think he got a little worried when I said, "Honey, do you think we could talk for a while after we put Austin to bed?" I quickly had to explain that it was not on of those talks that he needed to worry about! :)

So as I was talking to him about the way I feel, he offered me one piece of advice. Take one thing at a time. Tackle one goal. Sure, work on the other things some too, but hold myself accountable for one thing. Then, when I get comfortable with that, move on to my next "one thing."

So, the one thing I have chosen? The 5 O'Clock Club! What is this? Well, I recently read the book Shopping for Time and it talked about how to get everything done in a day that you need to. I want to write more about this book later because it was a wonderful read, but the premise is that you can get all of the priorities done if you a looking at the right priorities...God's. The best way to do this is to start your day out with time with God. Since most houses start waking up by 6 or 7, they suggest getting up earlier (5 am) to have uninterrupted time.

While it can be whatever time you want, I had to go with 5 since Austin wakes up anywhere between 6 and 7. I know, it's insane! But, I have to do something to get consistent with my quiet time. I used to do it after Andrew left for work, but that just does not work any more.

I am writing about it here because of my lack of follow-through that I normally have. I need someone to hold me accountable. I don't really have an accountability partner (if anyone is interested, let me know!) so I thought blogging about it would give me some sense of accountability.

So, 5 O'Clock Club, here I come!

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

4 comments:

Jeni said...

This is something I've been planning to do for awhile, but with the kids being sick for so long, I don't get enough sleep. Once we get everyone well again I'm going to give it a try!

Unknown said...

Like Mother; Like Daughter!!

I'm working very hard on the same problem. Big ideas; more difficult to follow through! Stay with it. I find the 5:00 Club to be very helpful. I think best in the AM. I'm praying for your success!!

Tiffany said...

Jeni, I know what you mean. As soon as I decided to start working on this, Austin started having bad nights. He was sick and teething. I had to wait until he started sleeping a little better. Then, I enlisted Andrew to help with him in the mornings. That has made a big difference, too. Good luck!

Kim said...

Tiff--you are doing a great job. Writing it down is always a huge step towards achieving a goal. This goal is one of the best to set. Spending time with the one whom you will spend eternity. Will be praying for you--just not at 5 a.m--I am more of a 7 o'clock girl myself. :)