Sydney Danielle Lough 3/11/07

Sydney Danielle Lough  3/11/07
My Inspiration

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A Simple and Savory Meal

Saturday night, we tried an entirely new dinner. While I usually find some things I like and others that I don't, I loved every dish in this meal! We had Herbed Pork and Potatoes with Butter Garlic Beans and Sister Schubert's Wheat dinner rolls. Of course, for dessert, we had the Uber Awesome Ice Cream Cake! I thought I would share the recipes for these dishes!

Herbed Pork and Potatoes

1/2 cup olive oil
3 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons minced garlic

2 teaspoons dried minced onion
2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1 teaspoon seasoned salt

1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
1 teaspoon ground mustard

2 pork tenderloins (1 pound
each)
1 pound small red potatoes, quartered


In a small bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Place the pork in a large shallow baking pan. Drizzle with three-fourths of the herb mixture. Toss potatoes with remaining herb mixture; place around pork.

Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and potatoes are tender. Let pork stand for 5 minutes before slicing.

Yield:
3-4 servings with potatoes plus 1 pound leftover pork.


We actually used pork steaks and so we only cooked them about 30 minutes as they are thinner than pork loins. We also doubled the amount of potatoes used, but we still had enough to coat everything. This dish was really easy to make!


Butter Garlic Beans

2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic

2 tablespoons butter

3 cups frozen cut green beans, thawed and drained

1/2 cup chicken broth

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper


In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in butter for 2-3 minutes or until onion is crisp-tender. Add the beans, broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until beans are crisp-tender.

Yield:
4 servings.

We actually doubled this recipe, also. It complimented the Pork and Potatoes very well. The beans were actually crisp and had a great flavor! I enjoyed it with extra onions, too. Even after microwaving them for leftovers, they remained crisp. I highly suggest this recipe for a nice and easy twist on a regular side dish!


Both of these recipes were found in Taste of Home's Simple & Delicious magazine from September/October 2006.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

6 comments:

Jeni said...

Thanks for sharing - those look really good!

I've been trying to install Firefox, but my computer's being dumb, so I think I'll have to wait for James to help.

Sandi said...

I have some pork tenderloin in the freezer -- I may have to try this recipe. It looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

I love your plate presentation! I never seen those serving dishes or flatware at your house. I'm impressed that you went the extra mile and took pictures, just like a fancy cooking mag. Plus, no nasty vinegar in either, so you are relatively safe to make both. Seriously, both look good; I'll make sure Brook reads this post.
Geoff

Tiffany said...

Yeah, I admit it. I got the pictures from the website. I am too lazy to get my camera out. But my beans actually looked that good!

Kimberly said...

looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

The pork and potatoes look good. I usually do my green beans with almonds. It would be nice to try to a new recipe and I love garlic.