Sydney Danielle Lough 3/11/07

Sydney Danielle Lough  3/11/07
My Inspiration

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Better than ColdStone Ice Cream Cake

**Update at bottom of post**

We love Cold Stone Creamery! We have nothing against it...except the price. Their ice cream cakes are really expensive! So, as you can imagine, we buy one only for special occasions-

Like when we win the lottery.

Well, not really that bad. But, for birthdays or anniversaries. Usually when my mother-in-law is buying. (She is not as cheap as me.)

Thanks Nancy!

Anyway, that is why I am so excited about this Saturday Stirring! I came across this recipe this week in my Kraft Food and Family magazine. (It is free and has great recipes.)

Anyway, it is called Oreo & Fudge Ice Cream "Cake," but when we started making it (and tasting of course) we decided we will probably be calling it the Better than Cold Stone Ice Cream Cake.


OR, maybe the BTCS Ice Cream Cake. I don't know. But it does look really good. Here is the recipe:

Whatever You Want to Call it Ice Cream Cake

1/2 c. fudge ice cream topping, warmed
1 8 oz tub Cool Whip, thawed, divided
1 pkg Instant Pudding (4 serving size)
8 Oreos
12 Ice Cream Sandwiches

POUR fudge topping into medium bowl. Add 1 cup of the whipped topping; stir with wire whisk until well blended. Add dry pudding mix; stir 2 min. or until well blended. Gently stir in chopped cookies; set aside.

ARRANGE 4 of the ice cream sandwiches, side-by-side, on 24-inch-long piece of foil; top with half of the whipped topping mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining 4 ice cream sandwiches. Frost top and sides of dessert with remaining whipped topping. (We mixed ~1/2 c of the fudge topping with the Cool Whip to make it a chocolate frosting instead of vanilla.) Bring up foil sides. Double fold top and ends to loosely seal packet.

FREEZE at least 4 hours before serving. Store leftover dessert in freezer.

Next time, we are going to try making it with a flavored ice cream sandwich, like chocolate or cherry.

It is in the freezer now. I will post later to let you know how it turns out. Will it be the "Better Than Cold Stone Ice Cream Cake", or the "Super Uber Ice Cream Cake" (Andrew's idea), or the "Well, It Will Have to Do Ice Cream Cake?" Check back later to find out!

Also, click on the Saturday Stirrings Button for more recipe ideas!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, the cake was really good, but I don't think it was quite up to Cold Stone quality. So, we have decided that it shall from here on out be called the Uber Awesome Ice Cream Cake around our house.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I vote for BTCS Ice Cream Cake! I do love ice cream cake, so this will be making a debut at our house this summer!

Thanks for sharing!

MT said...

I've made this recipe and everyone thought it was Coldstone!

What's cool is you can make this completely sugar-free, too; I made one with sugar and one without as we have friends with diabetes.

Just use sugar-free Cool Whip, Pudding, and Ice Cream Sandwiches. Instead of Oreos, I used sugar-free Russell Stover peanut butter cups.

It was so good, it was hard to tell which one was sugar-free!

Andrew said...

oooooo... the peanut butter cups sound pretty awesome. I was thinking crushed up butterfingers candybar, but that sounds awesome too. I guess the sky's the limit!

The Apron Queen said...

Late making my rounds. Sounds delicious! Do stop by. I'll save you a plate of my Just Peachy Cobbler. :D

For your daily dose of vintage goodness & a bit of silliness, stop by Confessions of an Apron Queen, the home of Vintage Thingies Thursdays