Sydney Danielle Lough 3/11/07

Sydney Danielle Lough  3/11/07
My Inspiration

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Psalm 119 Overview

Psalm 119:11 I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.

I sat down this morning to read Psalm 119 in it's entirety. One thing continued to jump out at me. It was the Psalmist's longing for God's law; God's word. He thought it was eternally important.
Verse 20: My soul is consumed with longing for your laws at all times.
and again
Verse 72: The law from your mouth is more precious to me than thousands of pieces of silver and gold.
or here
Verse 97: Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long.

I don't know that I yearn for God's word like this. I mean, I know it is important, but wow, to long for it, to think of it as more precious than gold, to meditate on it all day long? There I have a long way to go.

The word should sustain us through thick and thin; through good times and bad times; from morning to evening. I should be meditating on it.

But, I don't have my Bible with me while I am walking through the hospital at work. And I can't look at it while I am driving. To this, the Psalmist says,
I will never forget your precepts for by them you have preserved my life. (verse 93)
and
I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. (verse 11)
By memorizing God's word, we can have it with us all of the time. We can pull it up during times of struggle, temptation, joy, and need. It can help us keep from sinning! That is powerful stuff! I know I have heard this before, but something about reading through this Psalm and hearing over and over again how the Psalmist wants to understand, obey, and remember God's word, it just hit home.

I hope this has been inspirational to you, because it has been for me. Join me as I spend the next few weeks digging deeper into each of the sections of Psalm 119.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

0 comments: