I have seen the Frugal Fridays meme on different sites before, but today, it just screamed out at me. I got so many great ideas from just a few that I had time to read. So, I thought I would share the love...and suggestions. The theme for today is Five Painless Ways We Saved $100 Last Year. Here are my five ways to keep down the energy costs:
- Keep the thermostat turned down in the winter and up in the summer- I am amazed at how much this can affect the electric bill!
- Keep the blinds closed during the day in the summer and open on sunny days in the winter.
- Use a space heater in the winter and fans in the summer- We put a space heater in our bedroom at night and then close the door. Keeping it even on low keeps it nice and toasty through the winter. Sometimes, we even had to turn it off because it got so warm! We also kept one in the living room where we spend most of our evenings. In the summer, we have a fan in our bedroom that circulates the air to keep it from getting too stagnant. This allows us to leave the thermostat a little higher.
- Use blankets- I keep an extra blanket on my bed and one on each chair in the living room. Having the easy accessibility helps keep down the temptation to turn up the thermostat.
- Turn off lights when not in a room- Especially in the summer, this keeps down the bill and decreases the heat being put off by the light bulbs.